Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Entry #3 and some other photos

Yesterday I really felt the need to get out of the house, despite our winter storm that we were having. So after Jay got home from work we went to Elizabeth Park. Even though the drive was a little slow, the mains roads really weren't too bad. I took about 150 shots and kept 11 of them. This time I wanted to get some pictures of wildlife to submit for the photo contest. This was the one I used for my third submission. I call this one "Splish Splash".


It was between this one and another one of another white duck splashing in the water. I ended up choosing this one because I really liked how the water has more of an emerald green color to it. I'm not sure exactly why this one turned out green and the rest a dark blue. It may be the lighting at the time. But I thought it made it look really pretty. The little specks you see all around are the tiny snow flakes from the snow storm we were having.

These are the other photos that I got while I was there yesterday.

This one climbed up on some nearby ice and was preening it's feathers after taking a nice dip in the water.

Not sure why, but I just really like how this one turned out. The detail in the reed is really focused and sharp and the colors in the blurred background just gave it a really nice touch.

After the ducks would take a few dips in the water they would shake off some of the water by flapping their wings. To get these shots, I had to put down my flash and put my camera on rapid shot. I got a couple of good ones. One from a side view...

...and another from a front view.

This was the other one that I was debating on using. You really need to click on this one and look at the larger version to really grasp the full details of this image. This duck was dipping into the water when I took this picture. During preening, ducks secrete oil from their preen glands and rub it onto their feathers. Which makes the water literally run off their body (which is where the term "water off a duck's back" comes from) so they are able to swim. In this shot I got the water running right off of it's body, which is the reason why the duck looks so shiny. I just thought that was so cool and why I considered entering this one in as my 3rd submission. But in the end I went with the one in the emerald looking water. I am definitely keeping it as part of my collection though.

The duck on the right is scratching an itch. My husband really got a kick out of this one because he said it looks like the duck is trying to sleep on one foot. :P


This little cutie was shaking the water after going for a dip. You can see the little drops of water coming off it's head and the water on it's back.

The first time I came to Elizabeth park was the first time I'd ever seen one of these birds. They look like a cross-breed between a turkey and a duck. They are called Muscovy Ducks. Their oil glands are underdeveloped compared to other ducks so they don't swim as much. This one flew over to me as soon as it saw me. The few times I have been to Elizabeth park, I have seen people bring bread to feed these ducks, so it was probably hoping that I had some food.

Thought this was kind of cool. I took this from one of the bridges. It's ice forming in the water.


And lastly, a pair of ducks swimming together.

0 comments: